Work with us - volunteering opportunity/internship
3 Month Volunteering/Internship Opportunity
Executive Assistant to our CEO and Founder
- Do you want to gain experience in the humanitarian sector?
- Would you like to work closely with an acknowledged thought leader and TED fellow?
- Would you like to join us on our mission to enable local humanitarians to provide life-saving services to communities devastated by war?
Then join our team!
CanDo is on a mission to enable local humanitarians to provide life-saving healthcare in communities devastated by war.
Despite being a young organisation CanDo has had remarkable profile to date: Rola, our founder, has just had her first TED talk released in May and has recently spoken at two Google Zeitgeist and Women in the World among other international events.
We are looking for an energetic, curious and very well organised individual to act as Rola’s Executive Assistant. We are looking for someone who is:
- located in UK or Europe
- available asap until mid-late September
- a graduate or post-grad student
- self-motivated and cares about the quality of their work
- proactive about their own professional development and keen to learn
- willing to roll up their sleeves and lend a hand
- culturally and socially aware
- fluent in English
- able to produce written work of a high standard
- able to work from home
- comfortable with remote working
- has command of MS office packages and Google Suite
- has command of social media
- And has a GSOH
- organise and attend meetings and ensure Rola is well prepared for them;
- book and arrange travel, transport and accommodation;
- collate and file expenses;
- assist with producing documents, briefing papers, reports and presentations;
- carry out background research and present findings;
- assist with organising events and conferences;
- remind Rola of important tasks and deadlines;
- type, compile and prepare reports, presentations and correspondence;
- manage databases and filing systems;
- liaise with the rest of the CanDo team;
- carry out other tasks as necessary for the smooth running of the organisation;
- make virtual tea
Who are we?
CanDo (www.candoaction.org)is a small, dynamic start-up and registered charity building and mobilising a global movement because we believe passionately that we are all humanitarians. We are on a mission to enable local humanitarians to provide life-saving healthcare in communities devastated by war. Despite being only 18 months old, we are already gaining traction and support for our innovative solution on a global platform.
Inadequate resourcing of local humanitarian organisations is preventing millions of people from receiving critical life-saving aid and is causing excessive suffering and unnecessary deaths around the globe.
- We channel resources where they save more lives
- We invest in local partners to grow their impact
- We catalyse change towards a better humanitarian system
Our founder and CEO, Dr Rola Hallam, is regarded as a global thought leader. She is an advocate for the protection of civilians and the upholding of medical neutrality, the localisation of humanitarian aid and women’s rights.
Rola has spoken at prominent international conferences, events and on major media outlets. Over the past months she has met President Barack Obama and other statesmen, leaders of the tech industry such as Sundar Pichai, Google CEO, and leaders in the humanitarian aid and human rights sector. She has used these opportunities to push for collaboration on much needed change in the sector.
Rola has recently been appointed as a TED fellow, the first Syrian to receive this honour. Her talk highlighting the need to support local responders to save more lives is the TED talk of the day on the 15th May 2018.
What are we striving to achieve?
Both reliable data and our experience of working with local, on-the-ground groups, networks and organisations in war-torn Syria made us realise that while they deliver 75% of the humanitarian work, they receive less than 1% of the available funds. Yet they are the local heroes, taking action and creating projects that change communities and save lives, but with no way to tell their story and articulate their needs to a global audience.
At the same time there are millions of us around the world who see tragedy unfolding in war zones, who long to help alleviate the suffering but feel powerless to make a difference.
We exist to bring these two groups together
How will we do it?
We are more than a charity; we are a humanitarian movement. Through our technology-enabled crowd-sourcing platform we act as a bridge, connecting those who want to offer support directly with local organisations – our partners - who need all the resources they can get to save lives and provide critical health services of war-affected communities. Our platform acts as a spark to catalyse both parties, the supporters and the local humanitarians: a key to unlock all of our capacity to be the change we want to see, to create a beautiful ripple effect of hopeful energy and action.
We believe in working for change with Optimism, Courage, Connectedness, Pioneering and Openness. Our values shape our relationships with all our stakeholders – our partners, our donor community - and how we work as a team. We approach each other with open hearts and minds, we listen, we respond, we support and encourage.
We are a small but diverse team, spread across the UK, Europe and Middle East. You can find more about us on our website. Remote and home working is essential for us, but we have regular virtual meetings, an effective team messaging system to keep us all in touch and up to date, and regularly meet face to face as a small group or the full team. We love a good sense of humour and positivity, and a willingness to get involved and go the extra mile.
How to Apply:
Please submit a CV which includes your full contact details, including address, and a supporting statement which addresses how you meet the points under “about you” and explains why you want to join our team.
Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org In the subject use the format: Rola’s EA <Your Name>.
Interviews will be conducted via Zoom video conferencing. It is free to register, we will ensure interviewees are set up to use it before their interview.
Closing date: 10am Friday 22 June - but please note we will arrange interviews as applications arrive