Director of Marketing and Strategic Partnerships
Remote working opportunity
CanDo is on a mission to enable local humanitarians to provide life-saving healthcare in communities devastated by war.
We believe everyone is a humanitarian. Together we channel resources where they have the biggest impact and can save the most lives: on the front lines, in local hands.
Despite being only two years old we have successfully funded health projects and services ranging from secondary care, to psychosocial, hygiene and nutrition, benefiting over 315,000 people in war-torn Syria. Pretty impressive, don’t you think?
If you want to be part of a dedicated team busy transforming the way the world supports war-affected communities then this is the role for you.
As our new Marketing Director you will be an experienced, inspired and inspirational communicator with a proven track record of delivering successful and imaginative marketing and media campaigns, who is excited at the opportunity to support our pioneering model, represent our mission and grow our organisation.
Working closely with our founder-CEO and leading our marketing and communications team, you will develop and elevate the CanDo brand, devising campaigns to build our community, drive traffic to our platform, support income generation and get us to a good product/market fit. You will have well-honed skills, a positive attitude and possess the ability to thrive in a high-energy, fast-paced and entrepreneurial organisation as part of a diverse, collaborative and committed team. We have innovation at our heart and encourage every one of our team to take initiative and responsibility, bringing their own personality and creativity to growing CanDo together.
We offer great flexibility in working arrangements. We work remotely, so you can work with us from anywhere with good wifi signal and within a 4 hour time zone of GMT. You can organise your working hours to suit you and your other commitments as long as you are available for virtual meetings and are able to travel from time to time for face to face meetings.
Who we are
CanDo is a start-up social enterprise built on audacious achievements, kick-started by a campaign to build the world’s first crowd-funded hospital and drive the entire provision of medical equipment in convoy all the way from London to the Syrian border.
Inadequate resourcing of local humanitarian organisations is preventing millions of people from receiving life-saving aid, causing excessive suffering and unnecessary deaths around the globe. Data and our experience of working with local humanitarians in war-torn Syria led us to realise that while they deliver 75% of the humanitarian work, they receive less than 1% of direct funding.
CanDo is mobilising a global community to resource local humanitarians to lead agile, effective, cost-efficient health interventions. Our crowdfunding platform is pioneering people-to-people aid by connecting local humanitarians with global citizens, philanthropists and strategic partners who will support their health projects.
Our founder and CEO, Dr Rola Hallam, is regarded as a global thought leader. She is an advocate for the protection of civilians and the upholding of medical neutrality, the localisation of humanitarian aid and women’s rights. Rola is the first Syrian TED fellow and her talk has had over 1m views. We have started a transformative partnership with Google with the support of over 30+ engaged Google volunteers.
We believe in working for change with Optimism, Courage, Connectedness, Pioneering and Openness. Our values shape our relationships with all our stakeholders and how we work as a team. We approach each other with open hearts and minds; we listen, we respond, we support and encourage. We love a good sense of humour and positivity, and a willingness to get involved and go the extra mile.
Who we’re looking for
A builder; you are a creative leader with the heart of a humanitarian and the mind of an entrepreneur. You are excited to represent our mission and embody our purpose and motivated to go the extra mile to raise our profile and build our community. You have a strong team ethos, love working collaboratively and build openness and trust. You're self-motivated and love to learn: you treat failure as a teacher and not an enemy.
A world-class storyteller and communicator; you are someone who can engage our diverse community, the media, strategic partners and everyone in between - inspiring and motivating them with CanDo’s message. You are culturally and socially aware and able to appropriately navigate interactions with a range of individuals and organisations.
A brand-developing innovator; you are an observant, analytical and strategic thinker, you can read trends and understand CanDo’s diverse community. You can both innovate and adapt and utilise tools and key selling points to appeal to a wide range of audiences. You have the strategic know-how to develop ambitious community building plans and see them through. You love the challenge of brand and product development, you can see the big picture while also paying meticulous attention to detail.
What you’ll be doing
Building the organisation
- Reporting to our CEO, you’ll be working with our executive team to set overall organisational strategy, support our fundraising activities, manage our organisational sustainability, build on and sustain a strong organisational culture, and develop internal policies and programmes that make CanDo a great place to work.
- Leading CanDo’s cross-team community building strategy, and the activity of the community building committee
- Leading 3 marketing campaigns per year
- Building, nurturing and progressing excellent relationships with strategic partners
- Developing and implementing strategy to create new partnership and business opportunities, including writing and pitching proposals
- Working with our Business Development Lead to support the creation and implementation of a Patrons’ programme and corporate outreach programme
- Working closely with Business Development Lead, develop and implement a strategy to create new partnership and business opportunities
- Building, and progressing excellent relationships with strategic partners to achieve CanDo’s strategic aims
Storytelling and communicating
- Leading our communications team and working with the Communications and Digital Lead you’ll deliver compelling, consistent messaging for crowdfunding campaigns, marketing campaigns and communications streams
- Building and maintaining relationships with key media contacts, you’ll be drafting and distributing press notices, media comments, features and letters to editors
- Fully and creatively utilising and leveraging all marketing channels, you’ll be planning and coordinating across the organisation to agree and deliver key campaigns, messaging and content marketing activity
- Representing CanDo as an executive, you’ll be championing our advocaywork to change the way the world thinks about humanitarian work - from investors and policy-makers to global citizens.
- Working with the Social Media Officer you’ll identify, and build working relationships with, appropriate influencers for our marketing campaigns
Brand and product development
- You’ll be leading on innovations to raise visibility, awareness and understanding of our vision and mission in order to build CanDo into a global brand
- Leading the digital team, you’ll ensure our platform provides an excellent user experience and is optimised for growing our community and ensuring product/market fit
- You’ll provide guidance to the organisation in the areas of business modelling, sales, marketing, finance and fundraising
- You’ll design and implement evaluation and monitoring processes to evaluate campaign outcomes against brand and commercial objectives, including producing reports for the CEO and board
- Leading and growing our marketing and communications team, maintaining our people centred approach
- Ensuring all work streams are appropriately scheduled, budgeted for and resourced.
- 10 years experience in marketing and income-generating campaigns
- Extensive experience of organising large scale events
- Experience of leading teams
- Experience of engaging with the media
- A proven record of delivering successful, impactful multi-channel marketing campaigns
- A proven record of working with and achieving coverage in traditional and digital media outlets
- A proven record of building brands which engaged communities
- A strong news sense and ability to tell a story well and produce high quality copy for different audiences - including press, social media, email and websites
- Experience of managing, setting and monitoring budgets and financial management information, including developing and using management information
- Experience of working under pressure with excellent time management and organisation skills
- Ability to contribute to the development, planning and implementation of CanDo’s overarching strategy and policies
- Ability to think creatively, translating marketing objectives into appropriate activity and targets
- Ability to travel internationally if required
- A bachelor's degree level or equivalent in a marketing, public relations, journalism or related field
- Experience in or understanding of the humanitarian and development sector
Start date: As soon as possible
Location: Remote working within four hours of GMT
Salary range: £50 - £55k per annum
Application Deadline: 23.59, 23rd May, 2019
How to apply: Please submit a CV and detailed motivation covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you want to join our team and how you meet the person specification. Successful applicants will be contacted via email or phone, so please ensure you provide full contact details.
Interviews: Interviews will be conducted via Zoom video conferencing. It is free to register, we will ensure interviewees are set up to use it before their interview.
CanDo reserves the right to close applications before the above date if the right candidate is selected.
We are a small team and may not be able to reply directly to all applicants. If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, please assume you have not been successful.
All interviews will be held the second week after the closing date for applications. Thank you