Business Development Lead
Remote Working Opportunity
CanDo is on a mission to enable local humanitarians to provide life-saving healthcare in communities devastated by war.
We believe everyone is a humanitarian. Together we channel resources where they have the biggest impact and can save the most lives: on the front lines, in local hands.
Do you want to join us?
We are looking for a dynamic and resourceful professional with a positive, can do attitude to lead on CanDo's business development, fundraising efforts and strategic partnerships.
This is a great opportunity to join our diverse and dedicated team to build on and develop our pioneering work and support the growth of our organisation.
We offer great flexibility in working arrangements. We work remotely, so you can work with us from anywhere with good wifi signal and within a 4 hour time zone of GMT. You can organise your working hours to suit you and your other commitments as long as you are available for virtual meetings and are able to travel from time to time for face to face meetings.
Who are we?
CanDo is a start-up social enterprise that transforms the way the world supports war-affected communities.
Inadequate resourcing of local humanitarian organisations is preventing millions of people from receiving life-saving aid, causing excessive suffering and unnecessary deaths around the globe. Research and our experience of working with local humanitarians in war-torn Syria led us to realise that while they deliver 75% of the humanitarian work, they receive less than 1% of direct funding.
CanDo is mobilising a global community to resource local humanitarians to lead agile, effective, cost-efficient health interventions. Our crowdfunding platform is pioneering people-to-people aid by connecting local humanitarians with global citizens, philanthropists and strategic partners who will support their health projects.
Despite being only two years old we have successfully funded health projects and services ranging from secondary care, to psychosocial, hygiene and nutrition, directly reaching over 75,000 people (predominantly children) and benefiting over 315,000 people in war-torn Syria.
Our founder and CEO, Dr Rola Hallam, is regarded as a global thought leader. She is an advocate for the protection of civilians and the upholding of medical neutrality, the localisation of humanitarian aid and women’s rights. Rola is the first Syrian TED fellow and her talk has had over 1m views, we have secured a 3 year partnership with the Asfari Foundation and started a transformative partnership with Google with the support of over 30+ engaged Google volunteers.
We believe in working for change with Optimism, Courage, Connectedness, Pioneering and Openness. Our values shape our relationships with all our stakeholders and how we work as a team. We approach each other with open hearts and minds; we listen, we respond, we support and encourage. We love a good sense of humour and positivity, and a willingness to get involved and go the extra mile.
1. Refining and implementing CanDo’s business strategy
2. Leading the development and implementation of CanDo’s fundraising strategy
3. Building, nurturing and progressing excellent relationships with strategic partners, donors and other supporters
4. Contributing to CanDo’s evolution as a pioneering humanitarian organisation by participating fully as a member of the team
1. Refining and implementing CanDo’s business strategy by:
- Optimizing CanDo primary self-generated income stream (i.e. impact fee from our crowdfunding platform) and identifying and prioritising the development of complementary income streams
- Providing monthly business development progress reports and presentations
- Researching best practices and innovations in the field to inform our development
2. Leading the development and implementation of CanDo’s fundraising strategy:
- Providing innovative and entrepreneurial solutions that foster and support a sustained fundraising pipeline
- Cultivating and stewarding long-term relationships with high net worth individuals and launching CanDo’s Patron Programme.
- Leading on applications for grants and awards, including pursuing opportunities with appropriate corporate donors and foundations
3. Building, nurturing and progressing excellent relationships with strategic partners to achieve CanDo’s strategic aims, including amongst other things:
- Leading CanDo unique Google partnership
- Developing CanDo strategic partnership strategy
- Identifying appropriate pro-bono services for us and our local partners
- Supporting our community building strategy
- Raising match-funding targets to resource our locally-led health programmes
4. Contributing to CanDo’s evolution as a humanitarian organisation by participating fully as a member of the team by:
- Offering business development training and mentoring opportunities to other team members
- Supporting the development of CanDo as a data-driven, learning and scalable organisation
We are looking for someone who:
- Has the heart of a humanitarian and the mind of an entrepreneur
- Isn’t afraid to knock on doors to find funders and supporters
- Is super organised, motivated, resourceful and skilled at handling a busy workload.Pays meticulous attention to detail
- Is aspirational, loves to learn, and treats failure as a teacher, not an enemy
- Enjoys working in a collaborative team environment
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree or higher qualification in Business and Strategic Management or equivalent
- Minimum 10 years experience of working in a relevant business setting
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a business development role in not-for-profit organisations, social enterprises and/or startups
- A proven track record of building successful relationships with major donors
- A proven track record of attracting substantial funding
- A proven track-record of successful development and implementation of business strategies
- Understanding of a range of business models
- Fluent in English
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A track record of successful fundraising in the USA
- Experience of the Lean Business Approach
- Experience of crowdfunding campaigns
- Able to work remotely
- Able to travel internationally when required
Start date: as soon as possible
Salary: commensurate with experience and location
Location: Within four hours of GMT
How to apply: Please submit a CV and detailed motivation covering letter explaining why you want to join our team and how you meet the person specification to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Business Development Lead <your name>. Please ensure you provide full contact details and indicate your salary expectations.
We are fortunate to be receiving a high volume of applications. We are small team and may not be able to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within a week of the closing date, please assume you have not been shortlisted. Thank you