Business Development Lead
Remote working opportunity
CanDo is on a mission to enable local humanitarians to provide life-saving healthcare in communities devastated by war.
We believe everyone is a humanitarian. Together we channel resources where they have the biggest impact and can save the most lives: on the front lines, in local hands.
Despite being only two years old we have successfully funded health projects and services ranging from secondary care, to psychosocial and hygiene and nutrition, benefiting over 315,000 people in war-torn Syria.
As our Business Development Lead, you will be responsible for raising and growing major donor revenue for both operations funding and our local humanitarian partners’ projects in order to support our pioneering model and grow our organisation.
You will be working closely with our founder-CEO, the first Syrian TED fellow and the rest of the team to design and implement a sustainable development strategy to increase philanthropic revenue from a diverse portfolio of supporters. You will achieve ambitious revenue and renewal goals year on year, while delivering excellent stewardship experiences for our supporters. You will be excited to represent our mission and embody our purpose. You will have well-honed skills, a positive attitude, and possess the ability to thrive in a high-energy, fast-paced and entrepreneurial organisation as part of a diverse, collaborative and committed team.
We offer great flexibility in working arrangements. We work remotely, so you can work with us from anywhere with good wifi signal and within a 4 hour time zone of GMT. You can organise your working hours to suit you and your other commitments as long as you are available for virtual meetings and are able to travel from time to time for face to face meetings.
Why join us
CanDo is a start-up social enterprise that transforms the way the world supports war-affected communities.
Inadequate resourcing of local humanitarian organisations is preventing millions of people from receiving life-saving aid, causing excessive suffering and unnecessary deaths around the globe. Research and our experience of working with local humanitarians in war-torn Syria led us to realise that while they deliver 75% of the humanitarian work, they receive less than 1% of direct funding.
CanDo is mobilising a global community to resource local humanitarians to lead agile, effective, cost-efficient health interventions. Our crowdfunding platform is pioneering people-to-people aid by connecting local humanitarians with global citizens, philanthropists and strategic partners who will support their health projects.
Our founder and CEO, Dr Rola Hallam, is regarded as a global thought leader. She is an advocate for the protection of civilians and the upholding of medical neutrality, the localisation of humanitarian aid and women’s rights. Rola is the first Syrian TED fellow and her talk has had over 1m views. We have started a transformative partnership with Google with the support of over 30+ engaged Google volunteers.
We believe in working for change with Optimism, Courage, Connectedness, Pioneering and Openness. Our values shape our relationships with all our stakeholders and how we work as a team. We approach each other with open hearts and minds; we listen, we respond, we support and encourage. We love a good sense of humour and positivity, and a willingness to get involved and go the extra mile.
1. Developing and delivering a fundraising strategy, consisting of creative and diversified income streams, that considers both CanDo’s operational functionality and bolsters our Local Humanitarian Partners
2. Managing and growing a portfolio of major donors and patrons. Cultivating, soliciting and stewarding long-term relationships with our generous funders and launching CanDo’s Patron Programme
3. Leading on applications for grants and awards
4. Pursuing opportunities with corporate donors and foundations for both our operations and partner humanitarian campaigns
5. Establishing, managing and strengthening internal development systems for tracking impact data and donor giving, including CRM system development and management
6. Developing quarterly dashboard and annual impact reports for stakeholders, as well as reporting to funders
7. Developing both personal and team KPIs relevant to our work including Regularly monitoring, evaluating and preparing reports on progress
8. Growing our development team
9. Working with our Marketing, Communications and Digital teams to:
- optimise our self generated revenue through the platform
- organise events, including establishing a large scale annual event
- optimise our crowdfunding campaigns and communications, helping develop impactful content for both micro and major donors
- develop and execute our community building plans
10. Working with our Programmes team to provide fundraising best practices to our Local Humanitarian Partners
- Degree or higher qualification in Business and Strategic Management or equivalent
- Minimum 10 years experience of working in a relevant business setting with a proven track record of successful development and implementation of business strategies
- Minimum 5 years experience in successful fundraising for not-for-profit organisations, social enterprises and/or startups
- Minimum 5 years experience growing and leading teams
- A proven record of creating and executing effective fundraising strategies for diverse revenue streams as well as of securing donations from a variety of sources
- Proven ability to handle multiple, complex fundraising initiatives simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Proven record of raising £1m+ annually and securing 6-7 figure sums in large gifts
- A proven track record of building successful relationships with major donors, soliciting and closing donations as well as a strong understanding of major donor fundraising best practices Strong understanding of technology and information systems pertinent to the role
- Strong understanding of international development concepts
- Experience in building and managing a development team and mentoring development staff and/or fundraisers towards increasing levels of success
- Fluent in English with excellent written and verbal communication skills
Skills and Qualities:
You have the heart of a humanitarian and the mind of an entrepreneur
And you aren’t afraid to knock on doors to find funders and supporters for our innovative solution
You're an excellent communicator
You are excited to represent our mission and embody our purpose
You're a strategic thinker
You have the strategic know-how and social intelligence required to help build scalable models that leverage CanDo’s brand, assets, relationships and opportunities to meet ambitious growth goals
You have a team ethos and love working with people
You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment, with people who are passionate about their work and mission. You’re excited to work collaboratively across our teams and enjoy bringing people together to achieve a goal. People enjoy working with you because they know they can trust you.
You're a leader
You are skilled at accomplishing things and getting them done. You can run multiple work streams. You can provide leadership to peers and partners.
You're self-motivated and love to learn
You see something that can be improved, and you don’t wait to fix it. You are resourceful and able to attract resources. You pay strong attention to detail. You treat failure as a teacher and not an enemy. You are determined to help make CanDo a world-class organisation.
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: Commensurate with experience and location
Location: Within four hours of GMT
How to apply: Please submit a CV alongside a detailed motivation covering letter explaining why you want to join our team and how you meet the person specification to email@example.com with subject line Business Development Lead <your name>. Successful applicants will be contacted via email or phone, so please ensure you provide full contact details.
Interviews: Interviews will be conducted via Zoom video conferencing. It is free to register, we will ensure interviewees are set up to use it before their interview.
We are fortunate to be receiving a high volume of applications. We are a small team and may not be able to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within a week of the closing date, please assume you have not been shortlisted. Thank you.